Tuesday, April 28, 2009

In response to MM


Question :
I'd love to know what you think about GE monogram ranges, what dishwasher you would recommend, home ice makers, microwave drawers, etc. Any info is appreciated!

Answer :
Let me start out by talking about monogram. GE takes pride in this line and their service shows it. I had a refrigerator come in for a customer that went out 2 weeks after install (no appliance is immune to going out - even the high dollar ones) - the parts weren't readily available so they swapped the whole unit out - no questions asked. Not too many brands out there will take care of their customers like this.

On to the range - I'm assuming you are talking about the new monogram range. In my opinion it is the best on the market and here's a couple of reasons why :
  1. Just look at it, it's a beautiful range. I especially love the LED lights above the knobs, and the clean, beveled edges. It truly is a piece of art.
  2. I like the griddle - they took the same basic idea from the DCS range by keeping the small oven compartment which heats up underneath the griddle. This gives the griddle even heat all over. I also like the fact the put the little tray in the front versus the old DCS style where you've got the hole leading to the trap trays underneath the cooktop portion of the range.
  3. The dual flow burners will give you a high output @ 18,000 BTU's and each burner will also hold a 140 degree simmer (the only other brand to guarantee that is DCS)
  4. Each of the grates flips around to provide you with a wok burner, just in case you are feeling super indian one night.
  5. I like the self clean racks - every other brand out there you have to remove the racks when you self clean, but not the monogram - just leave them in (they borrowed the lubricant they use from the GE aero department...pretty cool) and clean the oven!
  6. If you are looking at the 48", the smaller oven is actually termed the 'every day oven' and it is exactly that. It is a full featured, convection oven. You can fit a 9 x 14 pan in it (america's favorite size for all those casseroles!)
  7. Easy clean up on the rangetop with the black porcelin -stainless tends to discolor quickly.

There's not anything negative I have to say about this range as of yet, other than the fact I've had one come in with a dent in the side, which I sent back and got another in perfect.

I have to recommend Bosch as my dishwasher of choice. The only negative side to a Bosch is the way it loads - it has a slightly smaller interior than most dishwashers and the tines seem awkwardly placed. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing on it. It is quiet, green (energy effecient), and safe (the pump is incased underneath to keep any leak from ruining your flooring). If you're wanting to keep to one brand, the Monogram dishwashers are definitely some of the best. In fact, it's one of few dishwashers that I've gotten consisten positive feedback on.

Icemakers - just know you're going to have to baby whatever brand you get. Make sure that you keep it cleaned AT LEAST twice a year, and I'd even do it more. The scotsman offers a nice unit that gives you clean ice - it freezes the ice upside down so the impurities fall out. You'll see a lot less fizzing when dropping these cubes into carbonated beverages. It makes the circled dimpled ice - aka liquor ice.

Sharp makes the microwave drawer, even for Dacor. If you're putting it by itself (no oven above), I'd go with the 24" unit.

If there's any other appliance or a particular model you'd like more info on, let me know.

The Guru has Spoken

comments

0 Responses to "In response to MM"

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved