Sunday, May 3, 2009

In Response to Colleen


Question

Hi Guru-

I am overwhelmed with choices and trying to compare features and reviews. I am working with a more basic budget--i.e., under 1800 for my range. I need to select an electric range (no gas at my house), an over the range microwave and a dishwasher. I'd like all stainless steel. I think I am pretty set on a Sharp convection/micro and a Bosch dishwasher. I know you have spoken well of Bosch. Need to figure out the range. I'd like a slide in (no backsplash--forward controls). I don't think I need convection in my main oven but would like a simmer burner and a warming drawer ideally. It is hard to figure out what to get and what represents the best quality/price ratio. Thanks for any insights.

Colleen



Answer

Colleen,

As you've noticed, I've said you can't go wrong with a Bosch dishwasher. Make sure you use a rinse-aid product and you'll love it. Which model are you looking at?


As far as the range goes, to fit your requirements I'd go with the Kitchenaid KESS907SSS. This range is feature loaded and looks good. You have the glass touch controls up front, the simmer feature on each eye, a warming drawer, and a convection oven (I know you said you weren't particularly interested in this, but to get a model with a warming drawer you'll be getting the convection no matter which brand you go with). Best of all, you should be able to find this range in the $1650-1700 range which should bring you in under or at your budget (depending on your tax rate).

Which microwave model were you looking at?

The Guru has Spoken


comments

2 Responses to "In Response to Colleen"
  1. Anonymous said...
    May 6, 2009 at 5:04 PM

    Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions--and pick your brain further!--I was looking at the Bosch Evolution 300 SHE33M05==I think this was one of the models recommended by Consumer Reports.

    As for the convection microwave, I was thinking of the Sharp 1874. I read that I may need a whole new circuit breaker for a convection microwave. Is that accurate? If so, maybe I'll just get a regular microwave.

    The Kitchenaid range you recommended looks gorgeous. I originally had budgeted $1000 for a range but they are more expensive than I realized. I could go to $1800 or so, but would prefer not to. The one thing I don't want to compromise is the "no backsplash" look. If I were to compromise some of the other features like the warming drawer, what would you recommend?

    Lastly, it looks like many appliance makers offer rebates if you buy two or more appliances. If I tried to stick with one manufacturer, which way would you go?

    It is funny--I have been cooking on a 30 year old Caloric double decker range (an ugly appliance candidate!) perfectly well for the last couple years but now I feel like I "need" all of the cool features!

    Thanks again for your advice.
    Colleen

  2. Anonymous said...
    July 10, 2009 at 11:09 AM

    I have read some complaints regarding the kitchen aid kess907sss regarding the oven venting excessive moisture which condenses on the outside of th eoven and drips. Is this a frequent porblem with is unit?

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved